The degradation of your roof isn’t something that should come as a shock to you. It’s very commonplace for your roof to experience some decline after long years of service. One only notable difference is how often and intensely different homeowners might experience this deterioration. Most times, it all boils down to the climate condition of the area he or she resides. A homeowner that lives in an area of extreme heat, sunlight, rainfall, or snowstorm is bound to have his roof deteriorate faster than those in more mild climatic conditions.
Regardless of the intensity and regularity, all roofing structures experience deterioration nonetheless. If you aren’t into roof construction and maintenance, it might take you quite a while to note the undesirable changes your roof might be going through, and by the time you do, it might be well damaged beyond basic maintenance. Such neglect can pose a threat to your finances, your health, and your safety. If you’ve always wondered why you always have to shell out huge amounts for fixing your roof, this could be the logical explanation. To prevent such from happening again, you need to step up your game. It would help if you always had a scheduled roof check done by yourself or an expert contractor. If you choose the former, then you should have a set of guidelines to follow. These guidelines should involve the most notable changes you will experience when your roof is in the declining phase. We can help you by providing you with the basic signs to show that your roof is deteriorating, which should help you act preemptively and save a lot more cost in damages in the future.
Here are the most common signs you should detect easily when your roof is gradually deteriorating and becoming ineffective;
- Curled-Up Shingles: Have you ever noticed how a leaf reacts when it withers? It usually folds upwards and shrinks. This exact phenomenon applies to shingles as well. As time goes on, your asphalt shingles have the tendency to curl upwards, which causes uplift from your roofing structure. Extreme dryness and thin shingles are the major factors behind this occurrence.
- Decaying Shingles: Unlike metal roofs and other resistant roofing materials, asphalt shingles are usually prone to decay. Due to their nature, shingles are always bound to disintegrate with time, which renders them weak and ineffective for prolonged use. To detect decaying shingles is quite easy. It would help if you always were on the lookout for discolored and worn-out patches on your roof. Once spotted, you should always make sure to replace them to prevent any impending leaks and fallout.
- Blistering Shingles: Just as the name suggests, the shingles would appear as if it has blisters on the surface. It would consist of a bubbled-up surface caused by the expansion of moisture beneath the shingles through heat. This occurrence is normally expected in houses located in warm areas with high humidity. Just like other signs, you should always ensure to get rid of the blistered shingles and replace them with more heat-resistant shingles.
- Rotting Shingles: This mode of deterioration is similar to that of decay. The only difference is that it occurs quite quicker than decay, plus there are always bio-agents involved in the process. Shingles that rot are usually vulnerable to microbial attacks and lack the necessary resistive quality to prevent their activity. Rotting shingles are easily detectable on a roofing structure. However, it’s always advised to get rid of the entire roofing shingles and replace with more microbe-resistant shingles due to their contaminable ability.
- Impaired Flashing: The flashing of roofs does a vital work of keeping the entire roofing structure waterproof. Whenever this roofing piece falls apart or gets damaged, your roof will be exposed to a huge number of issues. Firstly, moisture will have easy access to the roof, which could cause leaks or mold growth. The damaged flashing could even be the sole cause of blistered shingles because the moisture heated from beneath could have no other access point inside the roof besides through the broken flashing. To prevent this from causing total deterioration of your roof, you should always call an expert contractor to inspect your flashing and make sure that there are no open spaces.
Frequent roof maintenance is the main answer to your roof deterioration problems. You can save so much by spending so little on maintenance. Get acquainted with how you can save money through roofing maintenance by reading through our blog.
Despite glancing over few factors that could lead to your roof deteriorating constantly, we are going to be listing out the main causes of such occurrences right below;
- Too Much Ultraviolet Rays: The sun highly advantageous without a doubt, but it can be a problem for homeowners. Excessive sunlight in an area can easily cause shingles to curl up due to intense heat. Too much sun could also cause whatever moisture left on the shingles to evaporate, making it dry and wrinkly in the process.
- Heavy Winds: A windy region could make your shingles deteriorate quicker than usual. It could make the fasteners very weak and even cause the shingles to fall off bit by bit. It might not happen instantly, but it will lose its credibility with time if the high winds are constant.
- Low Ventilation: When your attic lacks the necessary ventilation to expel heat that accumulates beneath the roof, it could affect your roof badly. Roof blistering usually arises from this cause, especially when the attic is very humid or has lots of moisture.
Stay ahead of all your roofing problems with Goldenberg Roofing. We specialize in offering high-quality roofing service and advice to homeowners in need of it. Get in touch with us today for your roof installation, repair, and renovation with a free estimate. We are located at 1274 5th Ave New York, NY 10029 (212) 457-1324 https://bestroofingnyc.com/
Leave a Reply